Forum Index > FlashYourWeb OS Support > Gallery 2 Bridge New Topic Post Reply
 Embedded Gallery
 |  Printable Version
webmayin
 September 19 2009 00:59 AM (Read 2634 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

Before I get crazy into it, will the G2Bridge run in Drupal with embedded Gallery2? I'm guessing that I can access the forum as a block or node? Anyway, I'm going to try it out on a test site. I love the geeklog forum.
Cheers

Profile Email
webmayin
 September 19 2009 02:09 AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

After reading the Geeklog docs, I'm starting to wonder if I need Drupal at all. Seems a shame to chuck my custom Drupal theme, it was so 90's cool. I like drawing boards, even when I go back to them.

Profile Email
suprsidr
 September 19 2009 06:26 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Geeklog and Drupal are the same thing. They are both content management systems on their own.

My bridge works with geeklog's API, I've never even glanced at drupal's API. But it would not work regardless.

Geeklog's forum plugin again is written for geeklog and will not work with drupal.

Geeklog is a great full featured CMS, but its a bit limited when it comes to themes, and support seems to be waning.
There is a fork of geeklog called glfusion with very good support. There has even been some G2Bridge/glFusion users.
Most geeklog plugins like the forum have been ported.

-s

There will always be...

Profile Email Website
GDL
 September 19 2009 07:06 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Both Geeklog and glFusion are superior solutions to Drupal and other CMS'. The only drawback is the lack of themes that are available for the applications. Both development teams are aware of this and we are pushing to create new themes and a better environment for customization.

If you have the time and the patience to learn the templates and CSS approach, it will be worth the effort.

glFusion handles CSS a bit differently than Geeklog, but it is poised to be even more user friendly in the future by allowing admins to edit the CSS directly within the application. Their is a plugin for simple adjustments to the Theme for glFusion called Chameleon. This plugin can offer some nice features in the layout quite easily. Though the devs are working on a more advanced solution.

If you like Geeklog's forum, glFusion is even better with the new addition of a simple FCKeditor. Allowing users to easily embed video, and Gallery items via G2Image into the forum posts.

Jump in and try glFusion out. I can confirm that G2Bridge though not fully tested, is playing very nicely with glFusion. Hadtobesaid.com is a site I am working on and using them both as the solution. Just remember to have the ImageBlock module installed in Gallery2 before installing G2Bridge. I am sure that suprsidr will be testing this further, and we'd appreciate more people using this solution so we can get quality feedback from the community.

-gdl

"The Dude abides."

Profile Email Website
webmayin
 September 19 2009 12:07 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I have Geeklog 1.52 bridged, things look good. Any favourite plugins to recommend? And does the G2 bridge still work in Geeklog 1.6?

Profile Email
suprsidr
 September 19 2009 12:20 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

And does the G2 bridge still work in Geeklog 1.6?

Sure does Smile

But you may still want to consider glFusion before you dig into templates to customize as gdl recommended.

-s

There will always be...

Profile Email Website
webmayin
 September 19 2009 13:59 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

What I'm trying to do is set up a community portal with general forums, and classifieds that will allow users to have their own blog and a store. I recognise that all the CMS can do that. The reason I'm thinking so hard about the beginning details is that I'd like to set up a similar thing in some of my favourite nearby communities (well, a couple of hundred miles away, I'm in Canada Smile ) and I'd like them to link up, and preferably use the same database.
I'm less concerned with themes than I am with offering people commerce opportunity. Do you think glFusion is the right way to go for that?

Profile Email
suprsidr
 September 19 2009 14:08 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

that will allow users to have their own blog and a store

So you want each person who signs up for your site to get their own personal blog and a storefront?
I don't know of a cms that lets each user get these things.... maybe a micro-blog or homepage but certainly not a personal store per user.

-s

There will always be...

Profile Email Website
webmayin
 September 19 2009 15:12 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I guess I'll have to look into it to see if there's anything around. If I don't find anything, people can just use paypal buttons I guess. Thanks for the clarification on that. Thanks for all your help, really. Did you get my suggestion for a graffiti wall program?

Profile Email
webmayin
 September 19 2009 15:25 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I just found Etsy. It's ideal for what I was thinking about, so people could link to that with their miniblog. Thanks again for all your help. I guess I'll keep my newbie status.

Profile Email
webmayin
 November 27 2009 01:13 AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I can't really figure out why glfusion is not bridging properly. I understand that the web root should be called public_html and the private should be below that. Also the g2data. Then we can copy both public_html and private over to the base directory, below web root. It works great in Geeklog 1.4
I love the whole glfusion software, but I'd love to know if the current file is correct,
http://www.flashyourweb.com/filemgmt/index.php?id=8
It doesn't give any errors on untarzip, but seems to be missing some files from the layout on the wiki page. either way, are either of these 1.4 or 1.5 folders the correct ones to use for glfusion?
Happy turkey day

Profile Email
suprsidr
 November 27 2009 12:26 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I'll package up my working copy for glFusion.

*Edit
http://www.flashyourweb.com/filemgmt/index.php?id=29

-s

There will always be...

Profile Email Website
webmayin
 November 27 2009 15:28 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Profile Email
webmayin
 November 27 2009 20:26 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Thanks for the file upload. I put the folders in my base directory, and the bridge didn't show up in the plugins page, like it did in Geeklog 1.4, and there's no config.php. When I navigated to
http://hayfa.ca/admin/plugins/G2Bridge/install.php
just to try it, I got this:

PHP Formatted Code
An error has occurred:

(This text is only displayed to users in the group 'Root')

2 - require_once(/home/dreadful/hayfa_priv/private/plugins/G2Bridge/language/english.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory @ /home/dreadful/hayfa_priv/public_html/admin/plugins/G2Bridge/install.php line 161

If I can get it to work, I'd be happy to help with any INSTALL.txt for all these various files.
Thanks for your help,
A

Profile Email
suprsidr
 November 27 2009 20:28 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

you are missing /home/dreadful/hayfa_priv/private/plugins/G2Bridge

like my archive plugins/G2Bridge

There will always be...

Profile Email Website
suprsidr
 November 27 2009 20:38 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

There will always be...

Profile Email Website
webmayin
 November 27 2009 20:42 PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

that definitely did it. The plugins folder goes in the private folder. That makes sense. Thanks for bearing with me. I'm going to try to configure the executive now.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.83 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are PST. The time is now 05:01 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content