Forum Index > FlashYourWeb OS Support > MiniSlide Show New Topic Post Reply
 Gallery2 MiniSlideShow Caching
 |  Printable Version
kisekae
 December 29 2011 13:58 PM (Read 1663 times)  
Forum Newbie

MiniSlideShow uses an XML RSS feed to access Gallery2 albums. One problem with this solution is that generating an RSS feed takes time. The generation delay impacts the start of the slideshow, particularly if the slideshow is displaying the same gallery album as a sidebar block on every Gallery page or embedded page. This can be particularly noticable if the feed contains many images. Each display of a new page results is a new invokation of the slideshow and this results in a new initialization of the RSS feed.

One way to mitigate the feed generation performance loss is to cache the generated RSS feed XML text. If the album feed has been previously generated and saved then it can be referenced on a new page load without the overhead of regenerating the RSS feed. This can provide some performance relief.

Gallery2 provides disk caching services as part of its core module. I have modified the xml() function in mediaRSS.php distributed with MiniSlideShow to use the Gallery2 cache functions. For caching, the Gallery2 itemId is used as the cache key, and each cached RSS text entity will expire after a configured period of time.

For a full description of the solution see my blog entry on Kisekae World. http://www.wmiles.com/2011/12/gallery2-minislideshow-performance-cache.

Perhaps someone can extend this solution for Gallery3 or provide a generic solution for a Gallery2/Gallery3 implementation?

It would also be helpful if browser cookies for state management and control of the processing of the RSS feed was integrated with 'minislideshow.swf'. This could help to better manage immediate slideshow start-up by ensuring that on cached RSS loads the swf also begins with access to previously cached images in the browser.

Profile Email
suprsidr
 December 29 2011 17:35 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Thanks for your contribution.
I have only glanced at gallery's caching abilities but had no plan to implement for any of my usage.
I usually build my own caching systems that are light weight and fast.

Also I'm moving away from flash in favor of js - I know kills me too Angry
Here is one demo.
You could literally use the same js for G2 but removing the "media\\:group" namespace.

Two more demos here and here.

-s

There will always be...

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.07 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are PDT. The time is now 08:41 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content